Famous actress Cate Blanchett is slated to star in Brady Corbet’s New X-Rated film alongside Selena Gomez.
“The Brutalist” director, Brady Corbet, has also secured Michael Fassbender for the upcoming project, according to Variety. Blanchett made a brief mention of the film during a masterclass Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival, saying only that she is “about to work with Brady Corbet on a film.” Variety reported that the Oscar-winner was cast in the feature film. The Insider previously reported that Gomez, famous singer and executive producer of “Only Murders in the Building,” was also cast.
Corbet previously spoke about his upcoming “X-rated” feature, noting that his project would be set in the 70s, according to Variety.
CANNES, FRANCE – MAY 19: Selena Gomez attends the “Emilia Perez” Photocall at the 77th annual Cannes Film Festival at Palais des Festivals on May 19, 2024 in Cannes, France. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)
The roles that Blanchett and Gomez have been cast for remain unclear, but neither of the two has ever been featured in an X-rated film.
Adding to the mystery is a reference Corbet made in a previous interview about how the production will be filmed.
In a November 2025 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Corbet dropped a few hints about the shooting style he opted for.
“The film spans from the 19th century into the present day — it’s just predominantly focused on the ’70s,” he said.
“The film is really, really genre-defying,” he told the outlet.
VENICE, ITALY – AUGUST 27: Cate Blanchett attends the “La Grazia” red carpet during the 82nd Venice International Film Festival on August 27, 2025 in Venice, Italy. (Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images)
Corbet revealed that the movie would be filmed using very rare cameras, although the reason for his unique shooting choice was not disclosed.
“We are shooting on really, really rarefied formats that have usually shot shots in movies, but not entire movies before,” he told The Hollywood Reporter.
“And the movie will be entirely shot on 70mm, which we’re really thrilled about.”
Corbet continued, “The plan is to work a lot with eight perforation and 15 perforation, which is exciting because it’s not an action movie. I love big spectacle, technical releases, so it’s interesting to have a film that is absolutely not that, that’s still shot with that same tech.” (RELATED: ‘Boy Meets World’ Star Addresses Open Marriage Rules Decades Later)
TOPSHOT – US director Brady Corbet poses with the award for Best Director Motion Picture for “The Brutalist” in the press room during the 82nd annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills, California, on January 5, 2025. (Photo by Robyn BECK / AFP via Getty Images)
The famous director admitted, “It’s territory that’s totally uncharted for us, which is always nerve-wracking and exciting in equal measure.”
Corbet dropped more clues about the film at the Storyhouse Screenwriting Festival in Dublin in April, saying that the film will have a lengthy, 200-page script. For frame of reference, “The Brutalist” ran for three-and-a-half hours, with a 165-page script.

